Cleveland County Health Department’s Adult Health/General Clinic exists to provide the services you will see below. All information collected from patients is strictly confidential and will only be shared between the provider and the client/patient.
General Clinic Services:
General Clinic services are available M-F 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Tuberculosis Program exists for the prevention, detection, and treatment of TB. Cleveland County citizens who need TB screening, x-rays, and treatment of TB may be seen through General Clinic at any time.
Eye Clinic provides eye care for people that qualify financially. This clinic is staffed by a local ophthalmologist. An optician is present to fit prescribed glasses.
Wanna save some time? Print and fill out the registration form prior to coming in to the general clinic and have it ready when you arrive.
Traveling somewhere? Need immunizations?
*Click Current Vaccines Offered for a list of vaccines we offer here at the Cleveland County Health Department. For pricing please call 980-484-5100.
*For a list of what is required for each country please click here to be redirected to the CDC’s website.
Glaucoma and Diabetes Screening Clinic
For persons that suspect or have a family history of Diabetes, but have not been diagnosed with it. 1st Friday of the month, 8-11, by appointment (980-484-5100)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Clinic
The STD clinic provides services to those who have, or suspect they have a sexually transmitted disease. This clinic provides confidential testing, diagnosis, treatment and counseling for common sexually transmitted diseases. This clinic operates M-F 8:00-11:00 and 1:00-4:00. Appointments are made and walk ins may be triaged and may be referred depending on staffing. To make an appointment please call 980-484-5100. For more information on sexually transmitted diseases please visit the Center for Disease Control’s website here.
Cholesterol screening is provided for adult residents of Cleveland County who request it. The target population for screening is men ages 34 to 65 and women ages 45 to 65. The test, cholestek, includes total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, triglycerides, and a fasting blood sugar. The service is available Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 10:00 am for a minimal fee. A public health nurse will follow up on abnormal levels by providing education through individual counseling and appropriate handouts and by referral to the individual’s physician if indicated.
Children ages 0-5 will be followed to ensure access to preventive health care services including immunizations as required by state law and recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. The North Carolina Immunization Registry (NCIR) will be used as a database to document immunizations given in the Health Department as well as those given elsewhere for which there is an official record.
Parents will be educated regarding the importance of routine care, including the assessment of growth and development, vision and hearing.
Communicable Disease Program
The goal of the CD program is to prevent and control the spread of communicable disease in Cleveland County using a team approach. This involves:
- Prompt reporting and investigation of clusters of disease or unusual situations
- Implementing isolation and treatment as early outbreak measures when indicated to minimize further spread of disease
- Providing Health Education to the community
- Communication between public health agencies, private physicians and hospital infection control personel
- Utilization of the EPI team
- Adult Health Services are located on the 1st floor of the Cleveland County Health Department’s main campus at 200 South Post Road in Shelby. Please come through the double doors at the main entrance and speak to the staff at the front window for assistance.
- General Clinic: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m Monday – Friday
- Cholesterol Checks: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Monday – Friday **Must be fasting (from midnight the night before)
- STD/HIV Clinic: 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Monday -Friday.
- Eye Clinic: 8:00 a.m. 1st Thursday of the month- (980-484-5100) **Must come for financial screening prior to eye clinic appointment**
- Glaucoma Diabetes Screening Clinic (GDS): 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month by appointment (980-484-5100)
- TB Skin testing: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Blood Pressure Checks are FREE
- TB Skin Tests: $10 (no 3rd party payer can be billed for this service)
- Pregnancy Tests: $15 (will bill Medicaid only -no other insurance)
- Cholesterol Checks: $15 (self-pay only, no third party billing)
- Varicella Immunization Titer (Chickenpox) – $31
- Measles Mumps and Rubella Titer (MMR) – $47
- Hepatitis B Titer $20
Below you’ll find various links containing valuable information.
Health care providers can use the form below.