Diabetes is a group of diseases characterized by high blood glucose(sugar) that results from defects in the body’s ability to produce and/ or use insulin. There is a type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes is a serious disease. It affects your kidneys, heart, brain, eyes and other organs. Diabetes causes more deaths every year than breast cancer and AIDs combined.
Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes: (You may or may not experience all of these symptoms)
- Unusual thirst
- Blurred vision
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Unusual weight loss
- Tiredness and irritability
- Tingling/numbness in hands and feet
- Cuts or bruises that are slow to heal
Services Offered Through Diabetes Plus:
- Diabetes monitoring/management
- Free blood glucose screen
- Diabetes medication prescription
- Education/support class
- One on one time with a physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner at each appointment
- Discounted glucometer strips and potentially discounted medications through the CCHD pharmacy
- Must be a Cleveland County resident
- Must meet financial requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Please call to see if you qualify
Diabetes Self Management Class:
This is a free monthly class in which you will learn:
- Living with Diabetes and coping skills
- Nutrition; the relationship between food and insulin
- Meal planning
- Benefits of being physically active
- When and how to use diabetes medications
- Monitoring for blood sugar and ketones
- Managing high and low blood sugar
- Preventing long term complications and much more
- Please call for dates and times of classes
- Clinic hours: Tuesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Diabetes Plus is located on the 1st floor of the Cleveland County Health Department main building at 200 South Post Road in Shelby.
- Please call us at 980-484-5100 Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. if you have questions, concerns or would like to make an appointment.
Links of Interest: