The School Health division of the Cleveland County Health Department exists to provide school nursing services to Cleveland County Schools. This group of 19 provides contract nursing services to approximately
16,000 students across 30 school sites and is comprised of nurses, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants.
2 types of School Health Services
School Based Health Centers:
- Middle Schools and High Schools
- Each school has either a dedicated Nurse with Expanded Role Training (middle schools) or a Physician Assistant/Family Nurse Practitioner (high schools)
- Services include evaluation and treatment, communicable disease prevention, lab tests, physical examinations, education, referrals, immunizations, medication administration and nutrition counseling.
Elementary/Intermediate/Alternative School Nursing:
- Most of these nurses travel between 2-3 schools
- Focus on identification of special needs and recommending accommodations for those needs, vision and hearing referrals, education, prevention and advocacy.
There are several school health forms that you can access on this page if you have a student in Cleveland County Schools. Completing these forms and turning them in to your child’s school will assist us in being prepared to provide any support or health care your child requires during the school day.
- We ask that all Cleveland County School students submit a Health History Form to the school, so that we will be aware of all medical conditions, or medications that your child takes. The Request for Medication To Be Given During School Hours form must be completed by parent and health care provider before a student may be given medication at school.
- Please note the Parent Information Regarding Medications if your child will need medication at school
Students receiving care for school based health center services in the middle school or high school must turn in a parental consent form for expanded health services. Please read the Parent Letter Regarding School Based Health Center Services The parental consent packet for school based health center services also includes the Health History form and the Cleveland County Notice of Privacy Practices. Privacy Notice
Parent Permission Forms:
All Cleveland County School students are required to submit a record of immunizations required in accordance with NC law in the first 30 days of school attendance. For a list of the immunizations required for your child’s age and grade, see this link.
In addition to required immunizations, children entering kindergarten for the first time are required to submit a Kindergarten Health Assessment, done any time within the 12 months before the first day of school attendance. The blue Kindergarten Health Assessment forms are made available at the Kindergarten Orientation every spring, at your health care provider’s office, or the Cleveland County Health Department Child Health Clinic. Please be aware that appointments fill up rapidly, and will be difficult to obtain after school starts. Help your child get a good start by making his/her appointment as soon as possible (within 12 months before the first day of school).
If you need to contact the school nurse that provides service to your child’s school, please see our contact list here. If you cannot locate the information you are looking for, please call Linda Kiser, School Health Nursing Supervisor, at 980-484-5211 or you can email her here.