The Cleveland County Health Department operates and maintains the Landfill and the Recycling Centers for the citizens of Cleveland County.
LANDFILL PROGRAM The Landfill Sites provides safe and sanitary disposal of all solid waste within the county, and complies with all local, state, and federal rules and regulations. Tours of the facilities are available for anyone who is interested. Below are the disposal costs at the Cleveland County Landfill effective July 1st, 2013:
|Solid Waste (household and mixed garbage) SELF-MCNEILLY ONLY||$37.65/Ton|
|Construction/Demolition Materials (shingles, wood, sheet rock, brick, plastic pipe, etc.) (NO CARDBOARD ACCEPTED IN CONSTRUCTION/DEMOLITION LANDFILL)||$21.55/Ton|
|Wooden Pallet (To be taken to yard waste section as of October 1st 2009)||$21.85/Ton|
|Sludge SELF-MCNEILLY ONLY||$37.65/Ton|
|Friable Asbestos plus Surcharge($150.00/per load)||$37.65/Ton|
|Handle Fee (Special Waste)||$150.00/Load|
|Non-Friable Asbestos (solid form)||$21.55/Ton|
|Dead Animals (dogs, cats, puppies, kittens) SELF-MCNEILLY ONLY||$1.15/Animal|
|Fowl (chickens, turkeys, deer and hog parts) SELF-MCNEILLY ONLY||$37.65/Ton|
|Livestock (cows, calf, horses, hogs, pigs, goats) SELF-MCNEILLY ONLY||$5.75/Animal|
|Tires (Normal Course of Business)||NO CHARGE|
- There is a $2.00 minimum charged on all material with the exception of dead animals and livestock.
- There is a fee of $200.00 that will be charged for any UNSECURED LOAD brought into the Cleveland County Landfill.
- If the materials are delivered co-mingled the load will be subject to $37.65 per ton.
The Cleveland County recycling program operates in a variety of ways. The municipalties of Shelby, Kings Mountain and Boiling Springs operate their own curbside pickup. For those outside of those cities, Cleveland County offers 9 manned sites around the county for the convenience of its citizens.
- Glass: Clean, Green, Clear, Brown, Food Jars, Drink Containers
No Lids, Ceramic, Window Glass, Windshields
- Plastic Bottles, Jugs & Containers: #1 through #7 Clean Plastic, 2L and 16oz.
Bottles, Milk Jugs (1/2 or 1 Gallon), Brown, Green or Clear Plastic
No Lids, Toys, Bags, Dirty Containers
- Newspapers, Computer Paper: Newspapers, Cardboard, Computer Paper*, Ledger Paper*
(No String, Brown or Plastic Bags, Magazines)
- Aluminum Cans: Beverage Cans only
We buy aluminum cans!
- White Goods – Appliances: Washers, Dryers, Refrigerators, Stoves, Ranges, Microwaves, Furnace Blowers, Fans, Dishwashers, Air Conditioners, Water heaters
- Yard waste: Leaves, Brush, Grass, Clippings (Unbagged), Limbs less than 5′ in length and 6″ in diameter. No tree stumps!
- Scrap Metal: Clean Metal, Steel Beverage Cans – any size, Steel Food Cans -any size, Used Metal – any type. No Glass, Liquids, Storm Windows, Dirty Cans, Paint Cans, Burn Barrels, 55-Gallon Drums or Larger, Auto Gas Tanks.
- Motor Oils: Motor Oil, Hydraulic Oil, Transmission Fluid. No water in Fluids, Brake Fluids, Solvents, Paint Thinner
- Used Motor Oil Filters: Residential only, no businesses
- Tires: Passenger vehicles, Tires Only, Cleveland County Resident (only 5 tires per person every 3 months)
- Batteries: Any size, Lead Batteries, Calcium / Lead Batteries. No Household Batteries.
- Electronics: Effective January 1st, 2011, landfills in NC are no longer allowed to take electronics. Electronics are now required to be recyled and can be deposited at any of our 9 manned sites. Please see our e-cycling brochure and our manned site map.
Household Hazardous Waste
Some items are considered unsafe for the landfill and must be handled in a special manner. Once annually the Cleveland County Solid Waste program hosts a household hazardous waste day in the Spring of each year. Please see our brochure for a list of what is accepted at this event. If you need to dispose of these materials and cannot wait until our next hazardous waste day, please call the solid waste program at 704-447-8200 for tips on proper disposal.
Household Hazardous Waste Day 2015
- TOTAL LANDFILL GRAPH 2013-14
- TOTAL RECYCLING CENTERS 3 YR DATA 2013-14
- WASTE STREAM 2013-14 3 YEAR GRAPH
- Total Landfill Graph 2012-13
- Total Recycling Centers 3 year data 2012-2013
- Waste Stream 3 year graph 2012-13
Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
1609 Airport Road, Shelby NC 28150
Self McNeilly Landfill
250 Fielding Rd, Cherryville NC 28021