WIC & Nutrition

  • WIC Phone Number:  980-484-5170
  • Operating Hours:  8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children – better known as the WIC Program – serves to safeguard the health of low-income women, infants, & children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating, and referrals to health care. The Cleveland County Health Department WIC Program provides nutrition education and free supplemental food to low income pregnant, post-partum and breastfeeding mothers as well as families with children under five years of age. Participants are screened to determine that they are at a nutritional risk.

Who is eligible for WIC?

WIC is for pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children up to five years of age. If you have Medicaid or Food Stamps you automatically qualify for WIC.  To be eligible on the basis of income, applicants’ gross income (i.e. before taxes are withheld) must fall at or below 185 percent of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines. Click here to see if you are eligible based on income.

What do I need to apply for WIC?

You can call or come by the office to schedule an appointment.  When you come in for your appointment you will need to bring the following:

  • Each person who is applying for WIC
  • A parent, guardian or caretaker of an infant or child who is applying for WIC.
  • Proof of ID (This is needed for each person applying for the WIC Program)
  • Proof of Residence
  • Proof of Income or Medicaid Card or Food Stamp Letter

If you have any questions or need additional information, please call the WIC office at 980-484-5170.

What is considered proof of ID?

These are examples but are not limited to the following:

  • Valid driver’s license
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Medicaid Card
  • Immunization record
  • Hospital record
  • Marriage license
  • Photo ID
  • For infants:  mother’s verification of facts form

What is considered proof of Residence?

These are examples but are not limited to the following:

  • Medicaid Card
  • Recent Utility Bill
  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Current rental or mortgage agreement
  • Bill or mail with your current address
  • Rental receipt
  • Anything used for proof of residence MUST have your current physical address.  If you have recently moved or receive mail at a PO Box please bring what you have.

What is considered proof of Income?

These are examples but are not limited to the following:

  • Medicaid card
  • Letter of food and nutrition service eligibility (food stamps)
  • Recent paycheck stubs
  • Recent tax return if self employed
  • SSI
  • Social Security
  • Child Support
  • Unemployment
  • Worker’s Compensation statement
  • W2Forms
  • Income documents include all household income, meaning everyone in your family that works or has a source of income

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

You will need to bring your infant, child or self (whoever the appointment is for), identification for yourself and your infant or child, WIC folder, proof of residence and proof of income (see above for examples of each.)You also need to bring an up-to-date Medicaid card if you or your child is on Medicaid.

How long will my appointment last?

An appointment takes 1 to 2 hours per person.  If you have more than one person in your family for the same appointment, it will take longer.

How often do I need to come in to pick up WIC vouchers?

Vouchers are normally issued at three-month intervals. Under certain circumstances, you may need to come in more often.

 What do I need to do if I am sending someone else to pick up WIC for me?

When you send someone else to pick up vouchers for you, they are referred to as a proxy.  If you want someone else to pick up your WIC vouchers they must:

  • Bring a valid ID
  • Be over 18 years of age
  • Bring a proxy note and have your WIC folder. You can write your own note or use this one.  Make sure your note contains the proxy’s name and who they are allowed to pick up vouchers for with your signature and date.

Can I apply for WIC if I plan on moving?

Yes, we can give you a verification of certification card to take with you when you move. This will make it easier to transfer your WIC to the program where you move.

What do I need if I am transferring from another county or state WIC program to your WIC program?

If you received a VOC card, please bring it.  If you did not receive a VOC card, we will need the following information because we have to contact the WIC office you are transferring from to determine appointments and when to issue WIC vouchers:

  • WIC Program you were on before and phone number (You may bring WIC folder and any unused WIC vouchers)
  • Proof of ID
  • Proof of Residence

You may complete this transfer form before coming to the WIC office for faster service.

I lost my vouchers, can WIC replace them?

No, WIC cannot replace lost or misplaced vouchers.   If your vouchers are stolen or lost in a fire or an accident, they may be replaced if you bring in proof of event such as:  a police report of the theft, a fire report, an insurance report or a newspaper article about the event.

How do I add my baby on to the WIC program?

**This applies to babies that are less than 2 months old.  If your baby is older than 2 months, please call to schedule an appointment. **

To add your new baby onto the WIC program, you will need to bring the following:

  • Mother’s verification of facts form
  • Crib card
  • Medicaid card from either baby or mother.  If you do not have a Medicaid card, bring proof of residence, income, and ID
  • WIC folder if possible
  • Proxy note if you are sending someone else and the adding a baby proxy note allowing them to pick up vouchers.
  • Decision on whether breastfeeding or bottle feeding
  • What type of formula the baby is using if bottle feeding
  • Name of doctor the baby will got to for checkups

If you have had a miscarriage of stillbirth, can you still receive WIC vouchers?

Yes, you are still eligible for WIC vouchers up to 6 months after your miscarriage.

I am breastfeeding but have problems, can I contact the WIC office?

YES, we have our very own lactation consultant that would be happy to help.  Her phone number is 704-484-5155.  If you cannot reach her at her office number, you can call or text to her cell phone number at 704-692-1672.

Where can I get a breastpump?

WIC offers manual and electric breastpumps. We offer both electric pumps and single user electric pumps.  If you are interested in receiving a breast pump, please call the WIC office at 980-484-5170.  To be eligible for a single-user electric pump that you get to keep, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Your baby must not be receiving any formula from WIC for the first 4-6 weeks, and beyond.
  • Mothers going back to work or school outside of the home
  • If you are feeding your baby breast milk by only pumping

If you would like a pump and do not qualify for an electric pump, feel free to ask for a manual pump.

What do I need to do if I want to change my baby’s formula?

North Carolina is contracted with one formula company to provide formula for the WIC program.  Our contracted formulas include:  Similac Advance in blue can and Similac Soy-Isomil in pink can.  If your baby does not tolerate these formulas, then contact your infant’s pediatrician.  They can write a prescription for special formulas.  Special formulas can ONLY be provided with a written prescription from your child’s doctor.  There are still certain limitations on which formulas WIC can offer, if you are unsure please call the WIC office.

My baby takes more formula than he/she gets on his WIC vouchers. Can you give me more?

No, the WIC Program is a supplemental food program and, therefore, limits the amount of each food we can provide. WIC is only a Supplemental Food program.  If you run out of formula or food, you are expected to buy what you need.  You may use food stamps to buy formula.  If you need additional help, please refer to the resource list.

Where can I get additional information about the WIC program?

You can visit the USDA website at http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/aboutwic/ or the NC WIC Program website at http://www.nutritionnc.com/wic/ for additional information.  We also have our very own WIC Program of Cleveland County Facebook page at www.facebook.com/WICprogram.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,

color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request


(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.